Trending

What's In Our Bag: Garbage!


Thirty years ago, I became a musician in hopes of being chased down dark back alleys by legions of sex-crazed women and, while that did happen once or twice during my storied career (!), it was always only the one woman and never someone you actually wanted to catch up to you and slather you with kisses.

Live and learn.

Even so, If I were choosing which fork in the road to take today, I'd still go into rock & roll for the chance of discussing relevant issues with smart, beautiful women over $5 coffee before casually jumping into my flying car and jetting back to my floating McMansion to continue the conversation in my infinity pool overlooking paradise, but the real dream would be that I might one day be asked by the fine folks at Amoeba Hollywood to star in my own "What's In My Bag" video.



I did not know how much I wanted this dream until I watched the latest version of Amoeba's "What's In My Bag?" starring Garbage.

Seeing the joy with which each member of the band unveils their next selection made me realize that, deep down, we all want to show off what's in our bag.

Of course, I won't drop any spoilers here because I want you to enjoy all twelve minutes without having any idea what records they're going to pull out of their bags, like I did.

Also, having watched numerous episodes of this series featuring just one person, I love the idea of having entire bands take part because the interplay between members is endlessly entertaining to watch.

Without spoiling any of their picks, I love that the members of Garbage still take joy in buying things sight unseen. So often, other artists seem to choose albums they already love and are now attempting to hip us to, as if we don't already know about Velvet Underground or some Dylan record.

I also love seeing one of the members of a band that's been around as long as Garbage has picking out an album because one of the other members in the band composed the music.

Enjoy.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post