Trending

Song Of The Day (Valentine's Day Edition): 45 Grave "Partytime"!


You know you're doing something right if the radio station DJ introducing your song admits to almost being fired the previous week for playing the song on their specialty punk and indie rock radio show, but that the number of calls the radio station had received asking to hear the song again had single-handedly saved his ass.

The DJ, whose name I can no longer remember, then went on to explain that, due to the disturbing nature of the song's lyrics, the station manager had strictly forbid him from playing the song before 2AM.

Noting that the time was now 2:05 and that I'd have to be getting ready for school in a few short hours and I had yet to catch a wink of sleep, I cranked up my radio and prepared to be dazzled.


The original version, complete with hilarious "backyard home movies" style video

In between annoying waves of static and interference from another station on the same frequency, I was finally able to hear 45 Grave's "Partytime" for the first time inits entirety and, tho this day, it remains one of the more visceral musical experiences of my life.

I had only managed to catch a snippet of the chorus the previous week before the static had taken over, yet I had still found myself singing the song's Top 40-worthy refrain almost non-stop.

Now that I was finally able to hear the entire song in all its gory glory, I quickly understood just why the station manager had thrown such a fit.


The re-recorded version that appeared in the zombie classic "Return of The Living Dead".

It would be another year or so before I would hear the song again - this time in the movie "Return of The Living Dead", which I had rented from the local Movie Hut on VHS.

Rather than continue renting the movie just to hear the song, I finally nabbed a copy of the movie soundtrack, only to realize that the lyrics on this version had been completely altered, even differing from the version that had been used in the actual movie.

Though the "zombiefied" lyrics remain largely unintelligible to these ears, I still remain convinced that this tune should have been a hit.

Sadly, the bands bassist Rob Graves passed away in 1990, ending the band's first run, but singer Dinah Cancer has revived the band and a second album, Pick Your Poison, was released on Frontier Records in 2012

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post