Trending

Song Of The Summer: Villagers' "Summer's Song"!


In a way, it seems kind of sad that this year's "summer song" should have to call itself that just to get the attention of those who were on the lookout. I'd like to think that if this song was called "Jupiter's Gambling Problem" or "Down At The Dive Bar Drinking", I'd still have found it in time to keep this summer from being less musically euphoric.

I grew up HATING Chicago (the band) because their music was everywhere and, even more importantly, they far exceeded my tolerance for facial hair in a rock band at the time.



Years later, hormones and constant radio airplay led me to romanticize the idea of killing an afternoon in the park with the one you love, a la Chicago's "Saturday In The Park".

What does any of this have to do with Villagers' "Summer's Song", you ask?

Well, truth be told, this is the first song to come along all bleeping year that actually manages to put me back in the park on the most beautiful day of the year with the most beautiful girl in the world and, for once, I don't hear Chicago's "Saturday In The Park" playing in the background.

Instead, I hear "Summer's Song"; a song that eloquently captures the false security of this temporary bliss, but chooses to proceed with open heart and arms anyway.
 
In other words, mission accomplished. Thank you, Villagers!

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post